It was 20 years ago today that ABC aired the first 2 hours of the Anthology. It aired on the 19th, the 22nd, and the 23rd of November back in 1995, each time from 9:00-11:00...according to someone who posted this on Facebook. I don't know what time zone they're referring to.

I remember being the most happy, anxious 12-year-old kid in the world! This coincided with the release of the 1st Anthology CD, according to someone else on Facebook. I'm glad that they remember better than I do. For me, it was one ultra-exciting blur! I feel like we need to commemorate this occasion somehow, but I don't know how. We should all just watch our Anthology videos and listen to our Anthology CDs separately, I suppose. Nothing could give this anniversary justice other than that...

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for Posting this BeatleNut9!!! I LOVE The Anthology!!!

From the New York Times. November 18, 1995:
The much-touted three-part, six-hour special begins tomorrow at 9 P.M. on ABC and continues on Wednesday and Thursday at 9 P.M.  From the New York Times.
Sunday, 19 November 1995: 9–11 p.m.
Wednesday, 22 November 1995: 9–11 p.m.
Thursday, 23 November 1995: 9–11 p.m.

Anthology 1 CD is a compilation album by the Beatles, released by Apple Records in November 1995. It was released as the first part of the Anthology trilogy of albums with Anthology 2 and Anthology 3, all of which tie-in with the televised special The Beatles Anthology. It contains "Free as a Bird", billed as the first new Beatles song in 25 years. The album topped the Billboard 200 album chart and was certified 8x Platinum by the RIAA.

I remember seeing the promos on ABC for over a week leading up to the First air date of the Anthology on Sunday November 19, 1995. I was So Anxious to see it watching all those promos!! After seeing the first promo, I went out the next day and bought premium VHS tapes and cleaned the heads in my VHS deck!! An hour before it came on I put in the first tape and recorded 10 minutes of something on CBS, just to make sure that everything would come out fine. It Did, then I erased it. I put the tape back in the deck, got some goodies to snack on and Started recording Part 1. Hitting the pause button on the remote during commercials. I was in Awe watching it!!! I Loved every minute of it!! I recorded Part 2 and 3 when they aired too. Watched those Tapes over and over again!! I had a Double VHS Deck and made copies of all 3 parts because I Knew I would wear them out!! LOL!! I was Amazed watching it when it aired!!! I Enjoyed every minute of the series!! Brings back memories!! The Beatles Anthology IS Fantastic!! As soon as the 5 Disc DVD set came out in 2003 I bought it! I must have watched it 300 times already!!! LOL!! So Much More material than when it first aired on ABC in 1995.

Re: "I feel like we need to commemorate this occasion somehow, but I don't know how. We should all just watch our Anthology videos and listen to our Anthology CDs separately, I suppose. Nothing could give this anniversary justice other than that..."

I Agree!!!! :-)

That's awesome that you were able to make copies with your double-VCR! I recorded them off TV and my mom got the VHS boxset when it came out for a whopping $120! I still don't have the DVDs, though... :-(

BeatleBob said:

Thanks for Posting this BeatleNut9!!! I LOVE The Anthology!!!

From the New York Times. November 18, 1995:
The much-touted three-part, six-hour special begins tomorrow at 9 P.M. on ABC and continues on Wednesday and Thursday at 9 P.M.  From the New York Times.
Sunday, 19 November 1995: 9–11 p.m.
Wednesday, 22 November 1995: 9–11 p.m.
Thursday, 23 November 1995: 9–11 p.m.

Anthology 1 CD is a compilation album by the Beatles, released by Apple Records in November 1995. It was released as the first part of the Anthology trilogy of albums with Anthology 2 and Anthology 3, all of which tie-in with the televised special The Beatles Anthology. It contains "Free as a Bird", billed as the first new Beatles song in 25 years. The album topped the Billboard 200 album chart and was certified 8x Platinum by the RIAA.

I remember seeing the promos on ABC for over a week leading up to the First air date of the Anthology on Sunday November 19, 1995. I was So Anxious to see it watching all those promos!! After seeing the first promo, I went out the next day and bought premium VHS tapes and cleaned the heads in my VHS deck!! An hour before it came on I put in the first tape and recorded 10 minutes of something on CBS, just to make sure that everything would come out fine. It Did, then I erased it. I put the tape back in the deck, got some goodies to snack on and Started recording Part 1. Hitting the pause button on the remote during commercials. I was in Awe watching it!!! I Loved every minute of it!! I recorded Part 2 and 3 when they aired too. Watched those Tapes over and over again!! I had a Double VHS Deck and made copies of all 3 parts because I Knew I would wear them out!! LOL!! I was Amazed watching it when it aired!!! I Enjoyed every minute of the series!! Brings back memories!! The Beatles Anthology IS Fantastic!! As soon as the 5 Disc DVD set came out in 2003 I bought it! I must have watched it 300 times already!!! LOL!! So Much More material than when it first aired on ABC in 1995.

Re: "I feel like we need to commemorate this occasion somehow, but I don't know how. We should all just watch our Anthology videos and listen to our Anthology CDs separately, I suppose. Nothing could give this anniversary justice other than that..."

I Agree!!!! :-)

Thanks BeatleNut9!! I think the Double VCR Deck was a Go-Video Brand. I see you recorded them off the TV too at the time. :-) WOW!! Then your Mom got the VHS boxset when it came out! That's Great!! Yeah, for a Whopping $120!! I Couldn't afford that! But, I had my copies. Till I got the 5 Disc DVD set when it came out!! ;-) You still don't have the DVDs Yet? :-( I Hope you can get them on Sale when you can!! They're selling for around $58 right now. I know You'll Enjoy them!!

Yeah...it was a BIG deal in my household when my mom spend that $120. My dad wasn't too impressed, although she made her own money. It was one of the best surprises of my life! Now, none of us would be able to splurge on the $58, but it's on my Wish List! :-)

BeatleBob said:

Thanks BeatleNut9!! I think the Double VCR Deck was a Go-Video Brand. I see you recorded them off the TV too at the time. :-) WOW!! Then your Mom got the VHS boxset when it came out! That's Great!! Yeah, for a Whopping $120!! I Couldn't afford that! But, I had my copies. Till I got the 5 Disc DVD set when it came out!! ;-) You still don't have the DVDs Yet? :-( I Hope you can get them on Sale when you can!! They're selling for around $58 right now. I know You'll Enjoy them!!

I can imagine it was a BIG deal when your mom spent that $120 on the VHS Boxset! LOL! I'm Sure it was one of the Best Surprises of your life!! :-) The Anthology was So Fantastic when it came out!! I hear Ya!! Now, None of us are able to splurge $58 on Anything Beatley! But, I'm Sure it's on your Wish List!! :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcoming Beatlemaniacs! Join Beatles Abbey Road!

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Latest Activity

John Paul posted a status
"Happy B-Day Paul! You brought so many people together. Your music has provided me many great memories that I will never forget."
Jun 18, 2022
John Paul and BeatleLuvr13 are now friends
Apr 21, 2022
Mike Pell commented on Mike Pell's blog post ROCKOLLECTIONS: FINGER SNAPPING PT.5
Dec 14, 2021
Beatlemaniac commented on Mike Pell's blog post ROCKOLLECTIONS: FINGER SNAPPING PT.5
Jan 20, 2021
Mike Pell commented on Mike Pell's blog post ROCKOLLECTIONS: FINGER SNAPPING PT.5
Jan 19, 2021
Beatlemaniac commented on Mike Pell's blog post ROCKOLLECTIONS: FINGER SNAPPING PT.5
Jan 17, 2021
Mike Pell posted a blog post
Jul 14, 2020
Robert McNaught is now a member of BEATLES ABBEY ROAD // A Place for Beatles Fans To Come Together
Jul 8, 2020

© 2024   Created by Annalina Lennon McCartney.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service