Learn and share new Beatles facts everyday!

Views: 1096

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I learned something semi-Beatley yesterday! While reading "Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince" yesterday, I noticed something. (I'm reading the British version of the book: ISBN: 978-0-7475-9846-6) On page 431, Ron says, "When we come face to face with one down a dark alley we're going to be having a shufti to see if it's solid, aren't we, we're not going to be asking, 'Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?'"

My first thought was: What's a shufti? My second thought was: I've heard that word before in the film "Help!" and I never knew what he was saying! Clang says it when he's offering gold to Paul! ("Shufti. Gold! All of it pure gold...")

When I looked it up online, it's an Arab word that means "Look!" It all makes sense now! WOO!

"Pete Shotton was present when the song was being composed, and he suggested adding "Hey" to the start of the line in refrain." -Wikipedia page for "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"

BeatleNut9 said:

Many of us have always heard that George could play 26 instruments, but I recently found out what they are: guitar/sitar/4-string guitar/bass guitar/arp bass/violin/tamboura/dobro/swarmandal/tabla/organ/piano/moog synthesizer/harmonica/autoharp/glockenspiel/vibraphone/xylophone/claves/African drum/conga drum/tympani/ukelele/mandolin/marimba/Jai-Tarang

BN9! WOW!! Thanks for the List!! And 7 of those were inspired by Indian music! He always loved playing the Ukulele with friends when they visited together. He always carried them in his car with a spare one or two for his friends to join in. Cool! He was a Great Musician!!

Source: NME.com 

I recently learned from watching the new documentary called "Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years" that they were in the back of a meat truck at the end of Candlestick Park (Which was their last concert. Traveling incognito perhaps?) and that they refused to perform to segregated audiences (Actually, I think I heard that before somewhere but forgot about it because I don't like hearing about the dark side of that era.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcoming Beatlemaniacs! Join Beatles Abbey Road!

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

Latest Activity

John Paul posted a status
"Happy B-Day Paul! You brought so many people together. Your music has provided me many great memories that I will never forget."
Jun 18, 2022
John Paul and BeatleLuvr13 are now friends
Apr 21, 2022
Mike Pell commented on Mike Pell's blog post ROCKOLLECTIONS: FINGER SNAPPING PT.5
Dec 14, 2021
Beatlemaniac commented on Mike Pell's blog post ROCKOLLECTIONS: FINGER SNAPPING PT.5
Jan 20, 2021
Mike Pell commented on Mike Pell's blog post ROCKOLLECTIONS: FINGER SNAPPING PT.5
Jan 19, 2021
Beatlemaniac commented on Mike Pell's blog post ROCKOLLECTIONS: FINGER SNAPPING PT.5
Jan 17, 2021
Mike Pell posted a blog post
Jul 14, 2020
Robert McNaught is now a member of BEATLES ABBEY ROAD // A Place for Beatles Fans To Come Together
Jul 8, 2020

© 2024   Created by Annalina Lennon McCartney.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service